Wednesday 5 March 2014

BLUEBERRY POLENTA BUTTER CAKE.

When I first moved into my current house the oven was pretty bad. With no way of knowing what temperature it was set at, anything I attempted to cook ended up slightly burnt on the outside and not quite done on the inside. This meant that baking took a back seat. Thankfully, I hit the landlord jackpot and within two hours of visit to check how we were settling in, a brand new shiny spotless oven was fitted in the kitchen....so I made a cake to celebrate.

This recipe is from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook which I've been working my way through recently. This particular cake was perfect because I already had almost all the ingredients in my cupboard and it made a nice change from my usual vanilla or chocolate sponge. New recipes don't always work perfectly first time and yes all my blueberries sank to the bottom, yes I underestimated how much it would rise and had more cake than space in the tin (and half-cooked batter on the bottom of my new oven) but it turned out deliciously in the end, even if it wasn't half as pretty as in the book. 

Fruit, not-too-sweet cake and a crunchy top layer worked so well together and have made snack time (and breakfasts) a lot brighter this past week!

 THIS WOULD BE THE OVERFLOWING CAKE BATTER..

2 comments:

  1. Yes polenta cake!! I've just taken a carrot cake out and our landlord is coming to look at our oven today. One person xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Hope it sorts it out for you. Two too true xxxx

      Delete